Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Karaoke in the U.S.A

"Guess what," my friend, Tao talked to me, "There is going to be karaoke in the basement of Calhoun College this evening! Shall we go?"
"Really?" I shouted excitedly, "Of course!" 
 
I was really keen on singing but hadn`t been to karaoke bar for more than three months. How interesting would it be to take part in karaoke at Yale University, and more importantly, in the U.S.A! I was so curious to see what the American karaoke would be like. Definitely, we had to sing English pop songs! But that was cake for me because I always enjoyed the songs on the Billboard.
In the evening, I arrived at the basement very early in case of missing any perfect singers. Our counselor, Jessica, who was the organizer of this activity, has already been there. However, there were not too many people there, so I felt rather relaxed. She opened YouTube on the computer and typed the name of the song followed by karaoke, chose a video. Then, our karaoke started.
  
The karaoke here was much simpler compared with the one in China. All the devices they had were a computer, a microphone and a TV. But in China, besides those devices, we also had a system which was designed to order songs, some colorful lambs which would change with the rhythms, and some stereo loudspeakers which had perfect sound effect. However, the devices didn`t matter, because everyone enjoyed themselves.
  
I couldn`t wait to show my perfect voice, so I began with Firework, a song of Katy Perry. However, the key of the song got higher and higher. As a result, I could hardly control it! So I shouted in order not to be embarrassed, but I knew it was still awkward. How silly I was to choose this song! Finally, it finished and everyone applauded. I took a deep breath, my palms and forehead sweating.
  
More and more people flooded into the basement. In a few minutes, the basement became crowded and lively. I was completely fascinated by the beautiful voices of some singers. When we played the songs which were cheerful, we couldn`t help ourselves dancing to the beats. Everyone was so passionate and enthusiastic that I got more confident to sing another song. 

"…Yeah you show me good loving, make it alright. Need a little sweetness, in my life…" 

Surprisingly, everyone was singing with me, some were even dancing! It seemed that everyone was immersed in the music. After my performance, a girl with heavy makeup held up her fist, saying, "Hey, Bryan! Good job!" I smiled and fist pumped her. That looked so cool!
  
After a few songs, a girl with light black skin and curled brown hairs went to the center of the room, followed by four other girls. They all have different colors of hairs and skins. Then, the music was on. It was the Party in the U.S.A!!! They stood in a row, singing and dancing with the music. What a party in the U.S.A.! This was the United State, where we could meet people from different countries of the world. At that time, we forgot the differences of nationalities, cultures and races!

No comments:

Post a Comment